Tuesday, June 30, 2015

ALC Day 6

    Today I woke up and said, oh my god, 90 miles. How am I going to do this!? I was so tired at 4:30 in the morning, and while we found out what was messing up my ankles, they're already strained and overstretched and I just couldn't see how I was going to make the distance. We headed out from Lompoc in the chilly morning air and made the slow trek towards the mountains. Just when I thought I couldn't do it anymore, we hit a long downhill that shot us through a canyon and gave a glorious view of the ocean. The first time I've seen it since crossing into the valley. The sight completely revitalized me and gave me a boost to make through to the lunch stop.

    At lunch I made a preemptive visit to the medic tent to get some stabilization wrapping for my legs and they basically turned me into a mummy!  When we reached Santa Barbara (the only town that's lets us direct the traffic...we love them) we were greeted by a wonderful ice cream social that the town has radio ally thrown for the riders. Santa Barbara has been close with the ride for many years, and is definitely one of the favorite stops for all of the riders.  
    
    And so I pedaled on and somehow made it into beautiful Ventura, which is definitely one of my favorite camps on the ride. It's settled on the beach and brushed by the cold ocean air. The sunlight warms you to just the righttemperature, and being sooooo close to home filled the air with positive energy. Tomorrow begins our last 64 miles, so the next time you hear from me I will have crossed the finish line!!

Ice cream at the Santa Barbara Paradise Pit


Today's mummy wrapping for my legs.

Me and fellow Zoic artist Ryan Reeb
rockin' it.

No comments: