Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Highlights from my work in the 2012 MFA Show

 

Imprints
My work demonstrates intimate realities that flow behind the façades I project into the world.  In conceptualizing these images I call upon the emotional undercurrents that clash with the carnal self; a self that enables one identity to conceal another.  Using a photographic emulsion and artificial light, I capture in silhouette the presence of my physical body.   The processes and surfaces resist my control; the resulting abstraction of the literal form articulate the otherwise concealed emotional and psychological structures.  The frustration of my inability to fully determine the outcome appear in the image as flaws, tears, fingerprints, and inadvertent patterns that communicate the dissonance between internal dialogue and outward appearance, revealing without my permission that which I had longed to hide
-R.J. Peña

2 comments:

Unknown said...

R.J. -- I think I love your descriptions of your work as much as I love the work itself. Your artistry is piercing on both counts. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful gift of self.

Unknown said...

Beautiful work and great description, thank you!